I’ve been seeing a lot of posts on facebook, twitter, goodreads and more about editing and the editing process. I’m not one to miss the bandwagon. Editing is extremely important when it comes to finalizing ANYTHING, even emails to the boss. There can be some pretty blaring typos (I’ve made them and will continue to make them).
Just for show…I want everyone who reads this post to comment with their editing process and what they do for it. I will say, always have someone else go through your work.
Here’s my process.
1. I edit the piece
2. I edit the piece
3. I sent my piece to not one but two beta’s.
4. I edit from my beta’s comments
5. I do a final edit after beta’s comments
6. I print out and run through each sentence backward, looking ONLY for typos.
7. I send to my editor
8. I go through editors comments
9. Sometimes #7 and #8 are repeated.
Those are a lot of freakin’ steps, and even after ALL of that, I still find typos and mistakes that should have been caught.
So WHAT’S YOUR PROCESS?